The first annual St. James Canucks Golf Tournament was a huge success and 131 golfers came out to Kingswood Golf & Country Club in La Salle, MB, to show their support for the team.
The day started off with a free bucket of balls for all players to hit on the driving range sponsored by Crowne Nissan. After that a free lunch was provided for the golfers before they hit the links. In teams of four they competed to post the lowest combined score. The winning team, which posted a score of -12 was the foursome of Tom Miller, Bruce Instance, Craig Milani and Harold Neudorf.
There were also a number of specialty holes aimed at personal achievements.
Canucks Head Coach Blair Mooney won closest to the pin on the third hole – sponsored by the Morden Family, on the 6th hole Jeff Huff took home the longest drive, Shane Valgardson won closes to the line on the 11th hole – sponsored by Courts Financial, and finally Guy McLachlan took home the closes to the pin award on hole 17 – sponsored by JFJ Agency.
Perhaps the most interesting way an award was won was the Aloette putting contest at hole 12. Greg Friesen and Al Olafson finished in a tie and had to settle things the old fashioned way.
In a dance off, which Olafson won.
The big prize of the day – the Ranger Insurance $30,000 hole-in-one contest – unfortunately went unclaimed.
After the tournament ended the staff at Kingswood put together a delicious dinner for the golfers and volunteers.
The St. James Canucks would like to extend a huge thank you to Kingswood Golf & Country Club and their staff for hosting us. It was a beautiful day made even better by the accommodation they showed us while we were there.
We also want to thank the volunteers who helped us put it together and the golfers who came out to show their support.
Finally, we’d like to thank our sponsors:
- Silver Heights Restaurant and Lounge (Tournament Title Sponsor)
- Kris Keough Remax Performance Realty (Tournament golf cart sponsor)
- Food Fare (Tournament lunch sponsor)
- Crowne Nissan (Driving range Sponsor)
- The Morden Family, in loving memory of Ian Morden (Closest to the pin at hole 3)
- Ranger Insurance ($30,000 hole-in-one contest)
- Courts Financial Group (Closest to the line at hole 11)
- Aloette Cosmetics (Putting contest)
- Mike Mooney/JFJ Agency (Closest to the pin at hole 17)
- Action Apparel
- Kirkfield Motor Hotel/Club 3D
- Duraco Windows
- Little Mountain Sportsplex
- Canad Inns/Tavern United
Again, thank you to everyone who helped us make this day such a huge success! We hope 2016’s golf tournament is even better than this years!