The St. James Junior Canucks are committed to helping foster the development of young hockey players in the community. During the season, all Canuck players take part in various community events such as AA Day, community club carnivals, and minor hockey practices. They are excited to give back to St. James minor hockey; a community that helped develop them into the players and citizens they have become. An important initiative from the Canucks executive is to provide high-quality hockey development at an affordable price to minor hockey players in the St. James and surrounding area. Our camps will aim not only to improve player’s skill level, but to emphasize the importance of teamwork, work ethic and developing a positive attitude. Our instructors for the camp are highly trained and certified coaches that have grown up playing hockey in the St. James Minor Hockey system. Assisting our head instructor are current players of the St. James Junior Canucks. Our instructors are thrilled to have the opportunity to provide quality skill-based instruction to young hockey players.
Every player in each camp will receive:
- St. James Junior Canucks Hockey Camp jersey
- First chance to sign up to lead the Canucks out with the flag during a home game (6-10-year-olds)
***ALL ICETIMES ARE AT THE CANLAN ARENA***
- Ages 8 – 15 (2008-2014)
- 6 Hours $180
- Monday, August 14th to Thursday, Aug 17th
- During the day:
- 10:40 AM – 12:10 PM (2012-14)
- 12:20 PM – 1:50 PM (2008-11)
- Ages 6 – 10 (2013-2017)
- 5 Hours $160
- Monday, August 21st – Friday, August 25th
- During the day:
- 10:40 AM – 11:40 PM (2015-17)
- 11:50 AM – 12:50 PM (2013-14)
This camp will focus on the continued development of fundamental skills. This includes important power skating principles, puck handling, passing, shooting and scoring drills. Drills will aim to focus on improving player’s agility, balance and coordination. The camp will introduce and refine the principles of checking, contact awareness and confidence. Drills will aim to introduce individual and team play tactics with the inclusion of up-tempo drills. Instructors will incorporate small area games and competitions to imitate game-like situations in a fun atmosphere.
The skills camp will emphasize,
- Powerskating (forwards, backwards, edgework, power turns, stops and starts, etc)
- Basic skill development (passing, puck handling, shooting)
- Small area competitive games (to help develop hockey IQ in game like situations)
There will be a specialized goalie coach that will help goalies learn basic stance and positioning. Drills will aim to help goalies learn about angles, balance, and control. Goalies will be encouraged to develop puck-handling and passing skills. The goalie instructor will introduce different techniques save selections along with rebound recovery skills.