The St. James Jr. Canucks hosted another well-attended and successful Sportsman Dinner in late May, highlighted by team and community award winners and a guest speech from author Greg Gilhooly.
A number of very deserving players took home scholarships this season, including:
- Josh Johnson – who won the $1500 Ken Feasy scholarship
- Eric Wankling – who won the $1000 West Perimeter scholarship and the $500 Canucks scholarship
- Tyler Meixner – who won the $500 Mid Canada Fasteners scholarship
- and Bryce Ostermann and John McCammon, who split the $2,000 Frank Pertson scholarship.
In addition, Tom Wilson took home the annual Tom Miller Volunteer award. Wilson is a three term president of Hockey Manitoba, has won the Volunteer Award for Hockey Manitoba twice (2000 and 2008), served as the Midget AAA convener for 15 years and currently serves as the MMJHL VP Registrar and VP Suspensions.
The Canucks want to once again thank host Joe Aiello for doing a wonderful job and the staff at Canad Inns Polo Park for hosting us and our volunteers. We also want to thank Greg Gilhooly for sharing his incredible journey with us, which is detailed in his book I Am Nobody: Confronting the Sexually Abusive Coach Who Stole My Life.
We also want to thank our incredibly generous sponsors, including:
- MacDon – Tim Miller
- Gem Star Insurance – Blaine Parnell
- St. James Minor Hockey Association Executive
- St. James Community Clubs (Deer Lodge, Sturgeon Heights, Assiniboia West, Heritage Victoria, Woodhaven, Kirkfield Westwood)
- Royal Sports – Gerald Hasbeek
- Boston Pizza – Dennis Paulhus
- Arnason Industries – Russ Arnason
- Creekside Physiotherapy – Scott Allan
- West Perimeter Auto – Harold Neudorf
- Mid Canada Fastners – Mike Symack
- Sturgeon Construction – Len and Todd Ritchot
- Montgomery Pool Company – Lloyd Montgomery
- Silver Heights Restaurant – Tony and JC Siwicki
- Mayor of St. James – Gary Ullberg
- City Councillor – Scott Gillingham
- MLA – Scott Johnston
- Kelman and Associates – Kelman Family
- Dixon Gould
- JFJ Agencies
- Clear Collision – Darren Neudorf
- Winnipeg Hyundai – Ralph Wasserberg
- Arthur J Gallagher – Scott Feasey
- Rod Pertson
- Canad Inns
- Industrial Rubber – Bill Magalas
- Civic Electric – Todd Jackson
- Albutt Mining – Cliff Albutt
- Courts Financial – Ken and Ryan Kurtz
- Jetstream Pools – Nick Hook
- Hockey Manitoba – Peter Woods
- Wpg Minor – Ian McArton
- AAA Council – Russ Cassidy
- SMS Engineering – Colin Mclachlan
- Sure Seal Packaging – Rob Keough
- Kingswood Golf and Country Club
- Profresh – Chris and Val Taylor
- Event Strategy Productions – Randy Ayotte and Brenda Bourns
Finally, we want to extend a huge thank you to members of our inaugural 1978 team, who were honoured at multiple points this season for the club’s 40th anniversary. All of these players have been huge supporters of the team in the years since they wore Canucks colours all those years ago.
The Canucks organization is now turning its attention to the annual Golf Tournament, which is coming up in matter of months. You can register and find our more information by clicking here.