The annual St. James Jr. Canucks Sportsman Dinner was a huge success, thanks in large part to the community members and sponsors who came out to support us.
Power 97’s Joe Aiello hosted as we celebrated our 39th year competing in the Manitoba Major Junior Hockey League.
A number of current and graduating Canucks players were honoured for their outstanding contributions to the team on the ice and the work they put into their jobs, schooling and volunteering off the ice. Those players include:
- Mitchell Lockhart, Nick Stire and Tyler Weiss, who all received a third of the $2,100 Frank Pertson Volunteer Scholarship. All three of these players donated a lot of their time to help others. We have a goal of connecting with the local community and helping others and the actions of these three players exemplified that completely.
- Eric Wankling, who received the $1,000 Rick Barron Education Scholarship for his contribution to the team on the ice and putting up a 3.71 GPA in the Asper School of Business
- Josh Johnson, who received the $500 St. James Jr. Canucks Education Scholarship. Along with playing hockey, Johnson is maintaining a 3.64 GPA while he gets his BA in Kinesiology
- and Dylan Reinheimer, who received the $500 Mid Canada Fastner and Tools Ltd Apprentice Scholarship for players who work full time
The Canucks want to thank Canad Inns Polo Park and their staff for putting on an amazing event for us and making sure everything ran smoothly. We also want to thank Joe Aiello for doing a wonderful job hosting, as always. And we would be negligent to not thank Tom Miller. Canucks’ hockey wouldn’t be where it is today with the work of St. James’ Mr. Hockey. Thank you, Tom.
We also have to mention our sponsors, who not only supported us throughout the season but helped us by donating prizes for the dinner and buying tickets. There is no doubt that we would not be able to run the team like we do without the support of our sponsors. That list includes:
- The Silver Heights Restaurant and Lounge
- Birchwood Boston Pizza
- Tavern United
- Arnason Industries (Russ Arnason)
- D-Jays (Rob Johnson)
- Industrial Rubber (Magalas Family)
- Civic Electric (Todd Jackson)
- Albutt Mining (Cliff Albutt)
- Courts Financial (Ken and Ryan Kurtz)
- Gary Ullberg – Mayor of St. James
- Hockey Manitoba/AAA/Winnipeg Minor
- Autopia Automotive (Ben Bruinooge)
- Molson Coors (Jesse Adamyk)
- SMS Engineering (Colin McLachlan)
- Surseal Packaging (Rob Keough)
- Creekside Physio (Scott Allan)
- Royal Sports (Gerald Hazbeek)
- MacDon (Tim Millers)
- Gem Star Insurance (Blaine Parnell)
- West Perimiter (Harold Neudorf)
- Richots Sturgeon Construction
- Jetstream Pools (Nick Hook)
- Hockey Stick (Terry Miller)
- Arthur J. Gallagher Canada Ltd (Scott Feasy
- St. James Minor Hockey
- and Alumni members and community members who support the team
Stay tuned for off-season news and more information about our upcoming Golf Tournament. (Which registration is now open for!) Another season of St. James Canucks hockey will be here before you know it.