The Jr. Canucks have been putting on a show, and all signs point to a young team that’s just getting started.
After a up-and-down start to the season, the team has gone on a streak unlike any other in recent memory.
Since their overtime loss to the St. Vital Victorias on October 7, the Jr. Canucks have gone 12-0-1, with the single blemish coming in a shootout loss to the second place Transcona Railer Express.
In that stretch, they have outscored their opponents by a 67-33 margin, have scored an average of 5.15 goals per game, and have given up an average of just 2.53 goals per game.
Overall the Jr. Canucks rank 1st in goals for per game (4.94) and 3rd in goals against per game (3.00) and are one point ahead of Transcona for first overall in the standings.
They have the most players featured in the top-25 scorers at six, the top-2 scoring defencemen in the league, and one of the league’s top goaltenders.
Those players include:
- F Tyrone Willan (18GP – 10G – 15A – 25PTS) – Leads team in points and is 5th in league scoring
- F Griffin Haight (18GP – 18G – 6A – 24PTS) – Leads the entire league in goals
- D Rory Neill (16GP – 6G – 12-A – 18 PTS) – Leads all MMJHL defencemen in scoring
- D Brady Whitely (18GP 3G 16A – 19 PTS) – Second highest scoring defencemen in the league
- F Kurtis Luke (14GP – 10G – 10A – 20 PTS) – Averaging 1.42 points per game
- F Ashton Romaniuk (15GP – 9G – 8A – 17 PTS) – Has recorded at least one point in all but four of his games played
- G Noah Gilbert (13GP – 9W – 1L – 3OTL – 2.57GAA – .912 SV%)
The MMJHL season is a long grind for the players, who often have to balance hockey with other life factors like school and work. While there is still a lot of hockey to play, this young Jr. Canucks squad shows up to play hard every single night.
The Canucks currently sit with a 14-1-3 record.
After avenging their loss to Transcona, the Jr. Canucks went on to defeat the St. Boniface Riels 6-4 this past Tuesday.
They will then wrap up this week with games against the Ft. Garry/Ft. Rouge Twins and Stonewall Jets.