2017 Fall Pre-Season Development Camps
St. James Civic Centre
The St. James Junior Canucks are committed to helping foster the development of young hockey players in the community. During the season, all Canuck players take part in various community events such as: AA Day, community club carnivals, and minor hockey practices. They are excited to give back to St. James minor hockey; a community that helped develop them into the players and citizens they have become. An important initiative from the Canucks executive is to provide high quality hockey development at an affordable price to minor hockey players in the St. James and surrounding area. Our camps will aim not only to improve player’s skill level, but to emphasize the importance of teamwork, work ethic and developing a positive attitude.
Our instructors for the camp are highly trained and certified coaches that have grown up playing hockey in the St. James Minor Hockey system. Assisting our head instructor are current players of the St. James Junior Canucks and other high school hockey players. Our instructors are thrilled to have the opportunity to provide quality skill based instruction to young hockey players.
Every player in each camp will receive:
- James Junior Canucks Hockey Camp jersey
- Last day of the camp:
- players will get a tour of the Canucks Dressing room
- players will receive pizza
- First chance to sign up to lead the Canucks out with the flag during a home game (5-8 year olds)
- guest speaker from a current Canucks player to talk about:
- importance of teamwork, work ethic and attitude (younger group)
- advice and tips on how to get to the next level (older group)
Ages 6, 7 and 8 (2009, 2010, 2011) – Cost $150 (7 hours)
Tuesday, September 5th – Wednesday, September 13th
- Session 1 (6 year olds and Beginner/Intermediate 7 year olds)
- Sept 5th – 8th; Sept 11th – 13th, 5:30 – 6:30pm (Note: Friday Sept 8th 5:15-6:15)
- Session 2: – (Advanced 7 year olds and 8 year olds) ** FULL **
- Sept 5th – 8th; Sept 11th – 13th, 6:45 – 7:45pm (Note: Friday Sept 8th 6:30-7:30)
This camp will focus on developing basic fundamental skills. Instructors will focus on skating skills, puck control, passing and shooting. Drills will aim to focus on improving player’s agility, balance and coordination. Coaches will incorporate small area games and competition to make learning fun various times throughout each session!
There will be a specialized goalie coach that will help goalies learn basic stance and positioning. Drills will aim to help goalies learn about angles, balance and control. Drills will aim to help improve goalie movement including T-pushes and shuffles.
Ages 9 and 10 (2007, 2008) – Cost $160 (8 hours) ** FULL **
Saturday August 26th – Thursday August 31st
- Saturday and Sunday, August 26th and 27th – 1:30 – 3:00pm
- Monday and Tuesday, August 28th and 29th – 6:00 – 7:30pm
- Wednesday and Thursday, August 30th and August 31st – 6:00 – 7:00pm
* Goalie spots are now full – further registrations will be added to a wait list.
This camp will focus on the continued development of fundamental skills. This includes important power skating principles, puck handling, passing, shooting and scoring drills. The camp will introduce and refine the principles of checking, contact awareness and confidence. Drills will aim to introduce individual and team play tactics with the inclusion of up tempo drills. Instructors will incorporate small area games and competition to imitate game like situations in a fun atmosphere.
There will be a specialized goalie coach that will help goalies refine stance and positioning. Drills will aim to help goalies learn about angles, balance and control. Goalies will be encouraged to develop puck handling and passing skills. Goalie instructor will introduce different technique save selections along with rebound recovery skills.